Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Follow



Its funny how you can connect to someone. I didn't speak a word of this guy's language, well I actually did but I really wouldn't count my Spanish as language, but we understood each other. He was tired and I was tired. He wanted to be comfortable and I wanted to be comfortable. He wanted to listen to his music and I wanted to listen to mine. I also was greatly intrigued by him - his LA hat, his Bronx shorts, his throwback street ball jersey, etc. The influence of American pop culture and hip-hop was so prevalent that it almost seemed funny. Someone from South America was such a product of mainstream American marketing that I almost felt like he had been robbed of his true culutre. Nonetheless, upon seeing this, I knew I had to follow him . After some conversing with the chaaracter on our train home from Venice, he fell asleep just as I had wanted to. Thus my first creepy picture of him. This was the perfect opportunity because he really had no idea I was on to him. If I was to snap a shot of him when he was aweek, the awkwardness just just be at an all time high the rest of the ride.

After the train, as I stalked him out further, I was curious to see his next destination. I could have bet money on this but he stopped in the Nike store.



In an almost predicatable manner, he was checking out the latest pair of Nikes displayed in the store. Though I wanted to stay with him longer, I unfortunatley had to leave because he stayed in the store forever! I felt so wierd taking a picture of him through the store because the passerbys along with the Nike employee gave me the most condescending looks.

No comments: